You little gem.
- Place gem irons in the centre rack of the oven & pre-heat to 200 C static or 180 C fan bake.
- Place 12 lots of 1/2 teaspoonful's of butter onto a tray or plate & set aside for later.
- Using a handheld or freestanding electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar & ginger together until light & fluffy. Add the egg & beat well. You want to get some air into the mixture at this point, so be sure to beat the egg in really well - scraping down the sides of the mixture so everything is well combined. Beat in the golden syrup.
- Sift flour from a height (to get more air through) into the creamed mixture & then stir by hand with a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- In a separate jug, dissolve the baking soda in the milk & pour into the mixture. Grab a hand whisk & whisk the mixture well to ensure your mixture is smooth & creamy.
- Grab your oven mitts & remove the gem irons from the oven. Grab your tray or plate of butter & drop one piece of butter into each gem slot. The butter will start sizzling away.
- Spoon the mixture into each slot, filling to within a couple of millimetres from the top. Return to the oven & bake for 10 minutes, or until the gems are well risen & beautifully golden brown.