High tea review: The Mossgreen Tearooms

I've had the pleasure of enjoying high tea at The Mossgreen Tearooms on the High Street in Armadale, Melbourne on two separate occasions. The first was November 2013 not long after they first opened and the second was a couple of days ago for my friend's birthday high tea. I was impressed on my first visit & even more so on my second.

If you've read any of my other high tea reviews you might have noticed my aversion to high tea buffets & chocolate fountains. Breath a sigh of relief with me now though - there's none of that at the Mossgreen Tearooms. What you'll find is white table cloths, beautiful Wedgwood china, silverware, friendly table service, a wide selection of teas & most importantly a broad range of delectable sweet treats & savouries. Somebody there certainly knows exactly what a proper high tea experience should be & it's the well known Peter Rowland Catering company, which has been appointed as the Tearoom's operator. 

We enjoyed a champagne high tea - which came with a flute of Laurent-Perrier Brut Champagne - & after we were seated our waiter asked if anybody had any dietary requirements. I told him that I was a vegetarian & was so chuffed when he later bought over not only my very own two tiered cake stand with vegetarian savouries on the bottom & a top layer of sweet treats, but also my own little plate of scones with raspberry jam & jersey cream! I didn't expect that at all - I thought I would just get a separate plate of vegetarian savouries which would have been absolutely fine, but this was over & above! 


I was there with two friends who were brought their three tiered cake stand to share, which was adorned with sandwiches, savoury tarts & quiche on the bottom tier, a beautiful selection of sweet treats on the second & dainty little scones with raspberry jam & cream on the top.


The sandwiches were perfect finger sized portions & included cucumber & cream cheese, cheese & relish & Waldorf chicken. The bread was fresh & soft - just the way it should be! There were some delicious pieces of what looked to be a pumpkin & feta quiche which I really enjoyed & my friends also raved about the cute little meat pies. As for the sweet treats, we were treated to perfect macarons including salted caramel & mint chocolate, as well as some delicious petit fours which ranged from little lemon meringue tarts, a decadent chocolate cake to - my favourite - a salted caramel éclair. They were all divine! 

The menus are all beautifully designed & what's really lovely is having a separate tea menu which has a wide range of teas to chose from (click here to peruse the tea menu) . Each tea has it's own brief description, so you can decide on something a bit different depending on your tastes. I chose the 'Really Russian' tea, which was a smoky, medium-bodied tea. We each had our own gorgeous china teapots & were regularly offered top ups of hot water. Our waiters were really friendly and attentive - we couldn't have asked for more. The whole experience was lovely!


The Mossgreen Tearooms are now my favourite high tea venue in Melbourne & I would highly recommend going there for your special high tea occasion. You can also enjoy breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea at the Tearooms. What makes the Tearooms even more enjoyable is that they are attached to the Mossgreen Gallery - which showcases Australian artwork - so after your visit to the Tearooms you can pop next door to admire the artwork on display! 

For more details including prices & menus, click on this link to visit their website www.mossgreen.com.au/content/tearooms/

Comments

Popular Posts