Q is for Queen Cakes


As my A-Z baking blog journey takes me further into the alphabet, I've had my first taste of the somewhat tricky letters.  Although not the worst, Q is still right up there with the letters U, V, X & Z... I'll have to be super imaginative when it comes to some of those but this time, thanks to my Mum's quick thinking, I've made Queen Cakes.  

The humble Queen Cake - & I call it that because it is made simply of butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder & currants - is a recipe that's been around since at least 1725 when it was featured in the 'Court Cookery' book, written by a chap named Robert Smith who was a cook in King William's kitchens in England.  The name Queen Cake likely referred to Queen Mary & later on to her sister Queen Anne (I found this nugget of information at http://researchingfoodhistory.blogspot.com.au). 

Queen Cakes are really simple little cakes to make & although quite plain, they are still tasty wee morsels & would make a great addition to children's lunchboxes (that's if you think you can sneak the currants in without your little ones minding!)  The recipe I have chosen is from Mary Berry's Baking Bible (pg 113) & Mary has rightfully said that Queen Cakes are simple enough for children to make - which is perfect if you have a little pair of hands wanting to help with some baking!  

On to the recipe...

Ingredients

100g softened butter (salted or unsalted - I don't think it matters)
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
100g self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon of baking powder
25g currants

What to do

  1. Heat your oven to 200C static or 180C fan bake.  Grab a 12 hole muffin or cupcake tin & place paper cases inside.
  2. Measure the dry ingredients, eggs & butter into a bowl & beat well with a wooden spoon or hand held electric beater until the mix is smooth & well combined.  
  3. Stir in the currants.
  4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the paper cases & bake for around 15-20 mins until the cakes have risen & are a light golden brown.  
  5. Leave to cool slightly in the tins before turning the Queen Cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
That's it! It really is that simple.  

Enjoy! x

Comments

Popular Posts