A is for Apple & Oatmeal Cookies


As I sit here munching on my second Apple & Oatmeal Cookie, I'm wondering...what went wrong? 

Ok so they taste great but they've turned out more cakey than biscuity.  My doubts began when the recipe told me to add the dry ingredients & mix thoroughly until a dough forms.  Well, first up there are doughs and then there are doughs.  When I think of dough, I think of a mixture either resembling or close to one that you can throw on a floured board & knead.  This mixture wasn't like that at all - it was quite wet & resembled more of a thick cake mix.

My doubts grew as I added the apple & rolled oats.  Once mixed in there was no miraculous change in consistency.  The recipe instructed me to break pieces of the dough off, roll into balls & place on the baking trays.  Well, wasn't quite as simple as that with a mixture that wasn't at all dough like.  I persevered & did the best I could but the mixture wasn't capable of being rolled into balls.
 
I placed each cookie around 5-6cm apart as the recipe said they would spread a lot during baking.  Against my better judgement, I decided not to flatten each one with a floured fork as I was afraid this would make them spread even more.  In hindsight, I should have done just that.

The cookies spread a little - no more than you would expect, but they didn't flatten out.  Hence why they have ended up with a cake like texture on the inside.  I always believe that when making a recipe for the first time you should stick to it to the letter. However, I think next time..if there is one, I would definitely flatten them slightly with a floured fork.  Would I add in more flour?  Possibly.  Would be interesting to see what difference it made if the mixture did actually resemble a dough.

Who knows, perhaps there were forces at play beyond my control which meant that the cookies didn't turn out as they should have.  The temperature of my kitchen, how soft the butter was, perhaps the apple wasn't dry enough...if anyone decides to try their hand making these then let me know how you get on.

Now for the recipe... 

Apple & Oatmeal Cookies
(The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book page 156)

Makes 10-12 cookies (I ended up with 18)

135g softened unsalted butter
80g caster sugar
80g soft brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
190g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Granny Smith apples
60g rolled oats
  1. Heat oven to 170 C.  Next line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
  2. Using a hand held or freestanding electric mixer, cream together the butter & both types of sugar.  Add the egg & vanilla & mix well on a medium speed.  Sift flour, salt, cinnamon & baking soda, then add half to the creamed mixture.  Once combined, add in the other half  & mix well until a dough forms.
  3. Peel  grate the apples & squeeze out the juice.  (You won't need the juice so either down the sink or if you're a fan of apple juice, you could always squeeze it into a glass & drink it!)
  4. Add the oats & the grated apple to the cookie dough & mix in by hand.
  5. Break off pieces of the dough about 2 tablespoons in size), roll into balls & place on the prepared baking trays.  Allow 5-6 cookies per sheet, making sure to space them apart by 7-8cm as they will spread during cooking.
  6. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cookies are a light golden brown.  Leave to cool on the trays for 10 mins then remove to wire racks.

Comments

Popular Posts